Monday, December 10, 2018

Vehicle Titles

All motor vehicles and trailers in the State of Florida must be registered and/or titled. It is the responsibility of the Tax Collector, in the capacity as agent for the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, to provide the necessary services and operations to accomplish this job. The Tax Collector works very closely with this state agency to ensure all transactions are concluded according to state statutes.

New Vehicle Titles

All new vehicles are required to have a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) which must be signed by a licensed dealer for transfer to the buyer. To obtain a Florida title, the MCO must be filled out completely and attached to the title application form (DHSMV form 82040), including the owner's complete name and Florida address, date of birth, sex, driver license number, a complete description of the vehicle, and any lien to be recorded. Sales tax will be collected if applicable.

Florida Vehicle Titles 

To transfer a Florida Title, the seller must complete the transfer information on the current title, including the purchasers' name, the selling price, and the odometer reading at the time of sale . (A bill of sale may be submitted for proof of purchase price). Sales tax will be collected if applicable. All transfers of ownership must be completed within 30 days of the date the vehicle is assigned by the seller or a $20.00 fee is applied at the time of transfer. Our office offers a fast title service. For an additional $10.00 fee, you can have the title when you leave the office.

Out-of-State Titles

An out-of-state title must be submitted as proof of ownership. If transfer of ownership is involved, it must be properly assigned indicating the new owner's name and address. An application for Florida title must be completed and accompanied by verification of the Vehicle Identification number (VIN) and odometer reading (DHSMV form 82042). The owner(s) or purchaser(s) must sign this form or give power of attorney. Sales tax will be collected if applicable. 

Vehicle Identification Numbers

All motor vehicles from out of state, being registered in Florida for the first time must have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verified. The VIN can be verified by, any law enforcement officer, a Florida notary public, or a Florida motor vehicle dealer. (DHSMV form 82042) If an out-of-state motor vehicle dealer verifies the VIN, the verification must be submitted on thier letterhead stationery.



Copyright 2018 by Thomson Reuters